Statement of Ethics
Ethics: the study of standards of conduct and moral judgment; a system or code of morals of a particular person, group, or profession; standards of conduct that distinguish between right and wrong, good and bad, virtue and vice, justice and injustice.
We believe that self-regulation is the most effective and preferred means of assuring ethical behavior. We also acknowledge a commitment to the university’s Principles of Community, which states, “We promote open expression of our individuality and our diversity within the bounds of courtesy, sensitivity and respect.”
We will maintain high standards of personal conduct and act with integrity and discretion in relationships with colleagues, students, customers, university administrators and faculty. Observing ethical behavior benefits the students we serve through role-modeling.
Although no statement of ethical standards can anticipate all situations that have ethical implications, we are committed to asking how we can best serve our students, our department and the university as a whole.
Our Ethical Commitment to our Students:
- Assist them to become productive and responsible citizens
- Treat them as individuals who possess dignity, worth, and the ability to be self-directed
- Be sensitive to the variety of backgrounds, cultures, and personal characteristics evident in the student population
- Use records and electronically-stored information to accomplish only legitimate, institutional purposes and to benefit our residents
- Be consistent and fair in all of our policies and practices related to serving our residents
Our Ethical Commitment to Each Other:
- Tell the truth, be honest in all aspects of our work, hear both sides before drawing conclusions, and treat others as we wish to be treated
- Give our highest effort in conscientious performance of our individual and group responsibilities
- Act with the highest standards of integrity and personal conduct at work
- Refrain from attitudes or actions that are offensive to others’ dignity, privacy, worth, professional functioning, and/or personal growth
- Respect the confidentiality of sensitive, work-related information
Our Ethical Commitment to the University
- Contribute to the university by supporting its mission, goals and policies
- Comply with all federal, state and local laws
- Avoid any and all personal conflicts of interest, of the appearance of such conflicts of interest
- Evaluate programs, services, and organizational structure regularly and systematically to assure conformity to published standards and guidelines
- Recognize our financial responsibility and ensure that funds for which we have oversight are expended following established procedures
- Ensure equipment, facilities, personnel, and other resources are used to promote the welfare of the university and the students