UC Davis, University of California

Guide to Residence Hall Life


Student Housing Logo

Section 4: Personal Safety & Security

While the university community and the city of Davis are relatively small, friendly, and safe, neither is immune to the realities of the larger world. You will need to take precautions to secure personal property (e.g. locking your door, engraving your possessions, registering your bike). You must also consider your personal security and be aware of vulnerable situations. Keep your roommate and neighbors informed about your whereabouts and let them know when you will be returning home. When possible, travel with a friend and check campus maps for the best lighted paths. Report any suspicious activity immediately to your RA, SRA, or the police, and never leave outside doors or courtyard gates ajar. With so many people (and bikes, computers, and stereos, etc.) living together, the halls are prime targets for thefts. Your careful attention to security is in everyone's best interests.

The university expects all students to report crimes immediately by contacting the UC Davis Police. Fire, police or medical emergencies can be reported in person or by dialing 911 from any telephone on campus. Emergency aid can also be requested using the emergency system located in most campus elevators. If the call is non-emergency, or when calling from a cell phone, please dial the UC Davis Police Department at 530-752-1230 or the UC Davis Fire Department at 530-752-1234.

A. Online Security

As you prepare to become more involved in the UC Davis community, you will have opportunities to share information about yourself. Some popular ways to share information are in the form of online journals, "blogs" and/or community websites. Take great care with the amount and type of information you advertise on the Internet. Anyone can access this information and use it to victimize you and/or your friends and family. You should not display your personal phone numbers, class schedules, screen names, date of birth and e-mail addresses. Although it is important to become a part of this community, do not put yourself at risk by offering personal information. Visit housing.ucdavis.edu/computers for more information about online security.

B. Building Access

Access to residence halls is limited to building residents and their invited guests. In all areas, you will need your student ID card (AggieCard) to gain entrance into your building. You can promote building security by making sure doors and gates are locked whenever you enter or leave buildings — you can also help by not letting strangers into the building. If you jeopardize building security by loaning your access card, room key or corridor key to someone else, letting in strangers, or propping open doors or gates, you will be subject to disciplinary action. If you see someone loitering or acting peculiar, contact your RA, SRA, or the police department.

Residents in Cuarto will receive a key to access their rooms. Alder, Thompson, Miller, Bixby, Gilmore, Malcolm, Ryerson, Regan (all buildings), Kearney, Laben, Wall, Campbell and Potter Hall residents, as well as residents of Pine, Scrub Oak, Currant, Live Oak, Sequoia, Mahogany, and Hawthorne, will use their student ID card (AggieCard) to access their rooms. If your room key or student ID card (AggieCard) is lost or stolen, you are required to report it immediately to your area service desk. You will be charged $50 to re-key your room to protect your personal property and secure your safety as well as that of your roommate. Failure to report lost keys and access cards places you and your suitemates/roommates at risk.

If your room door has a lock button on the inside, simply pushing the button in does not fully lock the door — be sure to turn the lock 360 degrees with the key to make sure your door is locked. We strongly recommend you lock your room every time you leave and never allow anyone to enter your building that you do not think belongs there!

1. Lock-Outs

Be sure to carry both your room key and student ID card with you at all times. If you get locked out of your room or building, you may check out a temporary key or access card from the area service desk (ASD). ASD hours are 8am to 11pm, Monday through Friday, and noon to 11pm on weekends; holiday hours vary by holiday (check with the ASD for specific holidays) and an RA is on call. When the area service desk is closed, the RA on call in your area can check out a key or access card for you to use.

If you cannot come in person to get a temporary key/ access card, you must provide written authorization to be presented by the person sent to pick up your key; key permission slips are available at area service desks, or simply write a note including the date, your signature, your hall and room number, and the person's name authorized to pick up a temporary key/access card for your room. You must return the temporary key within three days; after five days your lock will be changed and you will be charged $50. Temporary access cards must be returned within three days, after which the card will be deactivated; a $25 administrative fee will be charged for each unreturned card.

Please be careful not to lock yourself out often — there is a $25 charge the fifth time you check out a temporary key and the fifth time you check out a temporary access card. Temporary keys and access cards must be returned immediately because they must be available to other residents in case of emergency.

2. Lock Changes

If you lose your key or do not return your temporary room key to the service desk, your room lock will be changed. You will be charged for any lock change. We do this to protect the personal safety of you and your roommate, as well as the safety of your belongings. Your roommate and suitemates will need to be reissued keys as well.

3. Replacement Student ID Card

If you lose or damage your original student ID card (AggieCard), you will need to get a replacement. Replacement AggieCards are available in the AggieCard office in 161 Memorial Union. A $15.00 replacement fee will be charged to your student account for a lost or damaged card (charge may vary; check with the AggieCard office for most current amount). After receiving your replacement card, please go to your Area Service Desk so they can update the Housing access system. Housing staff will notify University Dining Services to ensure that your meal access is also updated in their system.

C. Residence Hall Watch

The Residence Hall Watch Program is a community-sponsored program in which residents help protect themselves and their community by being alert and informing university police when a crime or suspicious activity is observed. This program has a very positive impact when residents join to make it work.

D. Computer Security

All desks in the residence halls have a 1"x4" hardwood horizontal brace that provides a place for you to lock down your computer with a cable or link chain if you would like to do so. What you will need is the following: Each piece of computer hardware [CPU, printer, monitor, etc.] you would like to lock down needs a link chain or cable affixed to it. The link chain would need to be at least 40" long; cable would need to be at least 6' long. You will also need a padlock. Make sure the "shackle" on the padlock is small enough in diameter to fit through the chain link, but long enough to fit through two chain links or both ends of your cable.

E. Insurance

It is important to remember that the university does not assume any responsibility for the loss, damage or destruction of personal property kept in the halls or on university property, so think ahead about protecting your belongings. You may also want to take valuables home during the breaks. Some homeowner policies cover property away from home and special insurance can be purchased; check with your insurance agent. Student Housing maintains an Insurance Resources webpage, which has information about renters insurance and tuition insurance, for those who want to learn more.

F. Police

UC Davis is served by its own police department with over forty police officers. UC Davis officers patrol campus 24 hours a day, 365 days a year and provide a full range of police-related services. The crime prevention unit gives presentations and provides information on personal safety. The department is on Kleiber Hall Drive, southeast of the Activities and Recreation Center (ARC) and across the street from Briggs Hall. Students are encouraged to tour the department and get to know officers by riding along with an on-duty officer.

G. Security Video Cameras

Video cameras in the lobbies and exteriors of some residence halls have been installed to deter theft and vandalism and to assist in investigations after an incident has occurred. The cameras will store images to a computer for later viewing. Footage is not monitored so residents should take normal security precautions and not rely on the cameras as a security measure.