UC Davis, University of California

Guide to Residence Hall Life


Student Housing Logo

Section 1: Your Housing Contract

Student Housing attempts to house as many students as feasible at the lowest possible cost. To accomplish this, there must be a consistently high occupancy level. Therefore, all housing contracts that begin fall quarter are effective for the entire academic year; residents are expected to comply with the provisions of that contract to the fullest. Be sure to read the contract and its conditions carefully so that you will know what is expected of you. Entering into any other housing agreement during the period of your contract will have no effect upon the conditions of your existing housing contract, unless specifically agreed to in writing by the student and the university

A. Housing Payments

Refer to the Residence Hall Fee Schedule on the Residence Hall Fees webpage to determine payment amounts for your specific room configuration and meal plan option. The fall quarter housing fees are due September 15, winter quarter housing fees are due December 15, and the spring quarter housing fees are due March 15.

Housing payments become delinquent after the tenth of the month; if this falls on a weekend, payment must be made the Monday immediately following. To ensure consistency regardless of payment method, all payments must be received by 4pm on the tenth day of the month to avoid a $75 late fee.

Payments must be delivered or mailed to the Cashier’s Office in Dutton Hall. Make check payable to UC Regents. Include your name and student identification number or use the payment coupons provided in your online housing assignment information. Mail payments to: Cashier’s Office PO Box 989062 West Sacramento, CA 95798-9062. Campus mailboxes are located in each residence hall area can be used to send check/money order payments without postage. View other payment options by going to mybill.ucdavis.edu.

If you have problems making a payment, contact the Residential Accounts Office at Student Housing , Room 170, 530-752-2481, before the due date to discuss payment options.

B. Roommates

A computerized program randomly assigns roommates based on information provided on your Room Assignment Request. You and your roommate should have a conversation about individual likes, dislikes, needs, and use of the room and belongings. The more you are prepared for possibilities that could arise, the more enjoyable your roommate relationship can be. Communication goes a long way toward heading off potential problems and establishing understanding. Each person can expect their roommate and neighbors to have different outlooks, traits, likes, dislikes, and lifestyles than their own. Roommates are required to fill out Roommate & Suitemate Agreement Forms at the start of the year and whenever a person moves to a new room. Students are not released from their housing contract due to roommate conflicts and Student Housing may administratively relocate students to resolve conflicts. If you have difficulty communicating with your roommate, contact your RA, SRA, or one of the professional staff in your area for assistance.

C. Homesteading

Students with a vacancy within their room/suite must be prepared to have a new roommate at any time. Residents are expected to be welcoming to prospective new roommates and should not discourage others from occupying a space. Students that discourage others from moving into vacant spaces may be relocated to a new room and/or referred for disciplinary action. Residents should not homestead the room: spread their belongings throughout the room or use furniture designated for the new resident. Residents found to be homesteading will be billed for costs required to make the contracted space available to a new resident.

D. Room Transfers

Moving within the residence halls is not difficult but there are some important procedures you must follow—failure to do so will result in administrative charges for an unauthorized move! The room transfer period begins the second Monday of each quarter after instruction begins, and ends two weeks before quarterly final testing. During spring quarter, room transfers end four weeks prior to the end of the academic year. Refer to the online Student Housing calendar for specific dates. Room transfers are made based upon space availability. Students wishing to move to another room must meet with a coordinator to obtain a Room Transfer form. A coordinator must approve and sign the room transfer form. Students may not move (even within suites) without following the proper procedure. Your area office or Residential Services staff (530-752-2033) can provide details. The university reserves the right to assign or reassign students to other rooms and halls for pending disciplinary action or in order to make the most effective use of the available accommodations. If space is available, requests for room transfers because of personal safety concerns, i.e. physical or sexual assault, will be honored.

E. Contract Release

Students who withdraw from school, file for a planned educational leave [PELP], or transfer to another school must provide written notification and process a Notice of Cancellation with Residential Services [160 Student Housing]. Daily room and board charges will continue to accrue on a student's account until Student Housing is provided with written notification of student status and all proper check out procedures have been completed. If a student has unusual circumstances, a meeting should be set up with a Coordinator. The Coordinator will explain Student Housing's contract release policy and give advice on release procedures.

Students who get married while they are living in the residence halls or transfer housing can cancel their contract and apply to live in Solano Park or off campus. Student Housing requirements state that only students registered as full time students are eligible to live in the residence halls and Student Housing Apartments. Student Housing offers our Solano Park Apartments for married students and students with children. Please see Solano Park Apartments Information to learn more about the housing options for married students.

F. Moving Out

Students that are no longer eligible to live in the residence halls or have been released from their housing contract must go to Residential Services [160 Student Housing] to begin the check out process and complete a Notice of Cancellation. A check out packet must be picked up at the area office. Checking out involves cleaning your room/suite, returning your key, and filling out a forwarding address card. A pro rata adjustment of the quarterly room and board rate is based upon the date the written request is approved by Residential Services. Students moving out must return their portion of the room or suite to its original condition. New students assigned to the room have a right to a clean and properly furnished space.