Skip directly to: Navigation for this section | Main page content
Graphic: A Residential Education Page

Student Housing Services

Services parents and families may most want to keep in mind include the following:

Service Requests

Student Housing employs a professional maintenance staff who perform and manage all building maintenance, services and repairs. This includes repair or replacement of windows, troubleshooting power outages, water leaks, and even replacement of light bulbs for Student Housing-supplied lamps.

Student Housing and Dining Services residents use the online Service Request form to request maintenance. Service requests are associated with student ID, so students log in for account verification. Once logged in, residents fill out the Service Request form and describe what needs to be addressed (e.g., "My window is broken," "My lamp needs a new light bulb) and, if required, the location where the service is needed. Residents primarily submit service requests for their rooms, but occasionally service may be needed for indoor or outdoor public spaces.

Service Desks

Each residence hall area has an Area Service Desk (ASD). Area Service Desks are in some ways similar to the main desk in a hotel: residents can come to the ASD to ask questions, borrow things, pick up packages, and in Segundo and Tercero, check mailboxes (Cuarto mailboxes are located in multiple places, depending on the residence hall). Along with Resident Advisors (RAs), ASDs are a great place to start for asking questions.

Academic Services

Student Housing operates its own robust academic program, which is designed to both compliment academic support found with academic departments and other campus support services, and to focus specifically on transitional challenges faced by any student who is new to the research university environment.

Student Housing operates an "Academic Advising Center" in each residence hall area. The focal point of most academic services, the centers host academic workshops and advising, and Student Housing Academic Coordinators offices are located in the centers. Peer-to-peer tutoring is facilitated in private spaces within the centers. And large workspaces, useful for large group projects and study sessions, are available to residents when the center is open.

Visit the Office of Student Development webpage to learn more about Student Housing academic services, and to get Hours of Operation or phone numbers.

Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) (20 U.S.C. § 1232g; 34 CFR Part 99) is a Federal law that protects the privacy of student education records. The law applies to all schools that receive funds under an applicable program of the U.S. Department of Education.

FERPA applies to UC Davis, including Student Housing. FERPA regulates the type and amount of information Student Housing may share with others, including families, regarding UC Davis students. Specifically,

  • When students enroll at UC Davis, the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) governs how UC Davis deals with student records. Except under certain circumstances, this federal law protects the privacy of all student records; it does not allow us to share any part of a student’s record with anyone without the student’s written consent. This includes conduct records, academic records and any records pertaining to student housing.
  • These protections can be difficult to comprehend, particularly for parents, families and guardians who pay for their student’s education.
  • It is important for your student to be the primary source of the information that you receive. Encourage them to communicate openly and honestly with you about issues involving their education. This is a critical skill to develop and helps build trust and respect between parents, family members and students.