Student Housing Green Workplace
We are committed to sustainability in the residence halls, dining facilities and our workspaces. All of the Student Housing departments have earned Gold certification in the Green Workplace Program. Help Student Housing continue being sustainable by implementing these best practices in your daily routine.
- Commuting to campus
- visit goclub.ucdavis.edu for sustainable commuting options
- Commuting around campus
- walk to meetings if that is available to you
- Student Housing has bikes and hybrid cars available to check-out for work related activities - check with your supervisor for details
- Consider carpooling to meetings
- Turn off the faucet when not using the water (tip: no need to wet your hands before lathering up with foam soap - only run water to rinse)
- Use the low-flush option (pull up on the green handle when available for low flush)
- Use the wastebasket for trash, not the toilet
- Report leaks at work using Student Housing's online Service Request
- To learn more on what Student Housing does to save water, visit housing.ucdavis.edu/sustainability/water.asp
- Practice the five R’s - Refuse, Reduce, Reuse, Recycle, Rot!
- Reduce your waste by using reusable drink and food containers
- Reuse office supplies when available instead of ordering new
- Print double sided or use GOOS (good on one side) paper for printing
- If your workspace does not have a recycling bin, and/or you would like a compost bin, please send a request to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Here are resources to assist you in sorting waste properly.
- Turn off lights and electronics when not in use
- Unplug electronics or turn off power strip when not in use
- Use power management features on your PC
- Follow the 1, 2, 3's of lighting - first use daylight, then task lighting, and lastly overhead lighting
- Open a window to get desired temperature if applicable, only if the heating or air conditioning is not on
- Dress appropriately for the temperature in your workspace and eliminate space heaters and fans
- Take the stairs instead of the elevator when available to you
- To learn more about what Student Housing does to save energy, visit housing.ucdavis.edu/sustainability/energy.asp
- Take the Green Leaf Assessment and see what your sustainability score is.
- Have ideas, suggestions, and/or comments about sustainability in Student Housing? Email your ideas to email@example.com
- Student Housing Sustainability: housing.ucdavis.edu/sustainability
- UC Davis Sustainability: sustainability.ucdavis.edu
- UCOP Sustainability Policy: University of California Sustainable Practices Policy