Skip directly to: Navigation for this section | Main page content
Graphic: A Residential Education Page


Mixed recyclables Mixed recyclables plus cardboard

Mixed Recyclables

All Student Housing areas are collecting recyclables in one bin, which is known as "Mixed Recycling". In other words, paper can be put into the same bin as aluminum cans - no need to separate the items. Residents are responsible for removing recycling from their room, bringing it to the nearest collection area, and depositing Mixed Recyclables into the appropriate bin or chute.

What can be recycled?

All items accepted for recycling can be placed in the "Mixed Recyclables" bins, dumpsters, or chutes.

  • Aluminum cans
  • Plastics #1 and #2 (find the number on the bottom of the container)
  • Glass bottles and jars of any color
  • Steel and tin cans
  • White or colored paper (staples are OK)
  • Sticky notes
  • Envelopes
  • Magazines
  • Newspaper
  • Paperboard (i.e. snack or cereal boxes)
  • Paper grocery bags
  • Phonebooks
  • Junk mail


Corrugate cardboard must be flattened and taken outside to be recycled - cardboard cannot be placed into any chutes. Appropriate outdoor bins are labeled "Mixed Recyclables" and include a cardboard icon. Click on area for cardboard recycling locations: Cuarto, Segundo, Tercero.

Pizza Boxes

Pizza boxes free of grease and/or food residue can be recycled. If the box is contaminated with grease and/or food residue, the box can be deposited into the Organic Waste collection bin.

Mixed Recycling Bins

Student Housing is in process of appropriately labeling all Mixed Recycling bins. All bins labeled "Mixed Paper" and "Cans & Bottles" will be labeled as "Mixed Recycling". Please be patient with us during this transition.

Recycling on campus, outside of Student Housing areas

Please read the labels on campus to properly dispose of items. Not all buildings on the UC Davis campus have the same recycling system.

See the Sustainable 2nd Century website for more information about recycling at UC Davis, outside of Student Housing.

Questions or comments? Email or call Jenni Porter at 530-752-4265.

GoZero (logo)