Frequently-Asked Questions
Student Housing and Dining Services and COVID-19

FAQs for Students Admitted for Fall 2020

What is the status of the housing guarantee for incoming freshmen and transfer students and second-year returning students entering UC Davis in fall quarter 2020?

UC Davis guarantees on-campus housing to all incoming first-year freshman, transfer students, and second-year returning students. However, due to the COVID-19 pandemic, UC Davis may withdraw or amend this guarantee in the case of public health guidance or other extenuating circumstances.

Have contract cancellation deadlines been extended?

Yes. The most recent change was announced via email on August 6. Read those emails on this webpage under Recent Messages. Also, continue to check your email. We will send new information as it becomes available.

If I cancel my contract because of COVID-19, will I receive a refund of my reservation fee?

If campus receives public health guidance to reduce housing density for fall quarter due to COVID-19, we may ask for some student residents to volunteer to cancel their housing contracts. Students who then choose to cancel their contracts will have their reservation fee credited to their student account. If needed, additional details on the cancellation process will be provided. Contract cancelations, except when mandated by public health guidance related to COVID-19, are subject to the contract cancelation policy outlined in the housing contract.

What are my housing options if I defer enrollment for fall quarter 2020?

Given the uncertainty of COVID-19 impacts, students who choose to defer enrollment will be provided an update on housing availability in future quarters as we learn more about state mandates.

The COVID-19 pandemic has made it difficult for me to pay my reservation fee. What should I do?

If you're unable to pay your reservation fee because of COVID-19, please email to request an alternative payment plan.

Housing FAQs

Can I have guests in the halls?

Residents are not permitted to have non-resident guests visit their buildings or rooms. We feel this is the best way to help comply with the physical distancing guidelines recommended by the county and state. As the weather is currently good, we encourage you to connect with friends outside while maintaining a distance of at least 6 feet. Building lounges will be closed to begin fall quarter. Group gatherings are not permitted.

For move-in only, students may have one guest assist them with moving into their building and room.

What is the guidance for students who live in Sol at West Village, The Colleges at LaRue, 8th and Wake, Russell Park, LaRue Park, Co-ops, fraternities or sororities?

These properties are not owned by the campus and have their own housing policies. Please contact your building/house manager for details. In the event your current housing will close down and you do not have other options or would prefer to stay in Davis, please email for assistance in securing a university housing contract.

What is the guidance for students living in private, rental housing?

If you live in a privately-owned and managed residence, you are responsible for paying rent for the remainder of the term of your lease unless your landlord has provided a written confirmation that the full rent is not due. We recommend you contact the person or company who manages your lease to understand your options. In addition, we have issued guidance regarding the recent City of Davis Eviction Ordinance and Governor's Executive Order to help address financial hardships and rent payments during this challenging time.

Students may also access the following resources for additional help:

Dining FAQs

What will our residential dining program look like for fall quarter 2020?

Our dining operation takes direction from Yolo County. Currently the direction is a to-go model. The model may adjust when the environment improves. While to-go options are available at all dining facilities, residents with a meal plan will be assigned a dining facility for when indoor dining is eventually allowed. All dining facilities will also be implementing new practices, which include providing single use package items, pre-packaged portions and stations where food is served by staff.

Additional FAQs

I feel ill, what should I do?

Please contact the Student Health and Counseling Services Office to consult with a nurse. There will be an initial assessment completed to determine the next step.

What if I want to come in to be tested for COVID-19?

We are currently testing in accordance with Yolo County Public Health and California Department of Public Health guidelines. If you feel that you need to be tested based on the recommended guidelines, or if you have further questions, please contact your provider via Health-e-Messaging or schedule a phone appointment with an advice nurse call 530-752-2349. When medically indicated, UC SHIP and other insurance plans are required to cover testing with no out-of-pocket expenses to you.

My roommate seems to be ill. What should I do?

Please refer to the Student Health and Counseling Services section for guidance.

What are my responsibilities as a resident living on-campus?

  • Wash your hands with soap and water.
  • Keep your room and apartment clean. Basic supplies and vacuums are available to residence hall student at their respective Area Service Desks.
  • Practice good "physical distancing" from others and avoid sick individuals.
  • Remember that this is unusual time and you and/or others may feel anxious about what is going on. Be kind to each other and remember we are all in this together.

What are the requirements for wearing face coverings?

On April 24, the Yolo County Health Officer issued an order requiring face coverings to be worn when in public. The purpose of this order is to reduce the potential spread of novel coronavirus (COVID-19) and thus reduce its impact on public health. As COVID-19 can spread by people who are not showing symptoms, face coverings, when combined with physical distancing and hand washing, may prevent the spread of the virus to others when going outside for essential activities.

Face Coverings Should:

  • Fit snugly but comfortably against the side of the face
  • Be secured with ties or ear loops
  • Include multiple layers of fabric
  • Allow for breathing without restriction
  • Be able to be laundered and machine dried without damage or change shape

What Not to Use:

  • Halloween or plastic masks
  • Ski masks with holes for the nose or mouth
  • Masks that have a one-way valve designed for easier breathing (the valves are often a raised plastic disk about the size of a quarter, on the front or side of the mask). Holes or one-way valves allow droplets out of the mask, putting others nearby at risk.

When are you required to wear a face-covering?

  • Waiting in line to go inside a store
  • Shopping at a store or picking up food
  • On public transportation (or waiting for it)
  • In a taxi or rideshare vehicle
  • Seeking healthcare
  • Going into facilities allowed to stay open, like government buildings
  • While working an essential job that interacts with the public

Don't have a face covering? DIY your own using materials you already have - all you need is a t-shirt or bandana and rubber bands or hair ties. No sewing required! Check out these tutorials from the CDC.

Where can I get more information?

What else? Please review the March 17, 2020 email Student Housing and Dining Services sent to all residents.

Additional Information

Recent Messages

August 20-21 Emails

August 6 Emails

July 30 Emails

July 8 Emails

Other Messages