Cancellation Process: Residence Halls
Applicants and eligible residents may request to cancel their residence halls application or void their contract by contacting Student Housing.
Refer to the following for specific information:
- Applicants who have not submitted a reservation fee need to contact Student Housing to cancel their application
- Applicants who have submitted a reservation fee need to contact Student Housing to cancel their application before the cancellation deadline passes in order to receive a refund. Those who cancel after the deadline will forfeit their reservation fee
- Residents (those who have taken possession of their room) may contact Student Housing to cancel their contract for the following reasons:
- Resident and/or applicant graduates
- Resident and/or applicant transfers to another campus
- Resident and/or applicant is dismissed from the university
- Resident and/or applicant is a participant in the Planned Educational Leave Program (PELP) or withdraws from the university
- Resident and/or applicant is denied admission to UC Davis or Resident and/or applicant is admitted to UC Davis but fails to register or cancels registration
- Resident and/or applicant presents proof of marriage that occurred during the term of the contract
- Residents (those who have taken possession of their room) who wish to cancel their contract but will remain enrolled at the university, or for any other reason other than listed above, must submit a Request for Contract Release.
A request for contract release will be considered only when a condition exists that originated after the Residence Halls Conditions of Contract was signed, and over which the resident has little or no control. Please note that financial hardship does not warrant release from the contract.
The request process applies only to:
- Exceptional situations which involve a number of factors that taken individually do not merit release from the contract, but taken together may justify release; or
- Questions related to Student Housing’s fulfilling terms of the contract and/or housing’s ability to offer the student an alternative living environment.
Before submitting a request for contract release to the Residential Services Manager, residents should communicate or meet with the Residential Education coordinators assigned to their area to discuss concerns. Issues can often be resolved through staff referral to appropriate resources and conflict resolution.
Request for Contract Release Administrative Review
- The resident must submit a formal written statement requesting a contract release to the Residential Services Manager, 160 Student Housing, One Shields Avenue, University of California, Davis, 95616-8712. This statement must include a description of the resident’s reasons for making the request and enumerate steps the resident has made to improve the situation in order to meet contractual obligations.
- The Residential Services Manager will make a decision as to whether or not the resident is to be released from the contract after carefully reviewing submitted information. The terms and conditions of the Residence Hall Contract will also be taken into consideration.
- The Residential Services Manager’s decision is final. An appeal will be considered only if the resident has additional information that has not been provided to the Residential Services Manager.
A formal written appeal with any new additional information must be submitted to the Director, Office of Student Development, 160 Student Housing, One Shields Avenue, University of California, Davis, 95616-8712, within three working days of receiving the Residential Services Manager’s letter.